Sunday, March 31, 2013

Review: Offside by Bianca Sommerland




Book: Offside
Dartmouth Cobras Series #4
Author: Bianca Sommerland
Erotic Romance, BDSM, Menage

I finally finished it! Oh my god, when does it ever take me this long to read a book? It took me a while to really get into it and then houseguests converged. Excuses, excuses... I actually liked having so many interruptions because it made me savor it more. I usually go through books so quickly that afterward, I get a little sad because then I have nothing to read. Thanks Bianca for an awesome read! I'm so glad it was long and there was plenty to savor.

Five stars, I'd say that's an accolade! Here's the blurb:

A pace ahead of the play can send you back to the start. And put everything you’ve worked for at risk.

Single mother and submissive Rebecca Bower abandoned her career as a sports reporter to become a media consultant with her brother’s hockey team. A failed marriage to a selfish man makes her wary of getting involved with another. Unfortunately, chemistry is hard to deny, and all her hormones are dancing when she gets close to the Cobra’s sniper, Scott Demyan. 

Zachary Pearce ‘came out’ to the world last season to shift attention away from a teammate. And his one night with Scott Demyan had been unsettling. There could be more there, if only Scott was a different person. Instead, a night of sensual BDSM play with Becky leaves him wanting more, but she thinks he’s gay and questions his interest. It’s been a long time since a woman has attracted him both as a man and a Dom, and he’ll do everything in his power to prove she’s the only one he needs. Or wants. His one time with Scott was a mistake.

Scott might have forgotten what happened in his childhood, but the effects linger, and he specializes in drunken one-night stands…until he meets Zach and Becky and sees what he’s missing. But neither one believes Scott can be faithful. Although he’s trying hard to clean up his act to avoid getting kicked off the team, they want more from him. He’s willing to make changes, but the most important one—putting their happiness before his own—means he’ll probably end up alone.

If you have read the previous Dartmouth Cobra books, then you already know what to expect from Bianca and she definitely delivers. I already admitted that it took longer for me to get into this story than I expected, because I'm a Cobra fan and expected all the drama to explode right in my face right away and to be unable to step away from the book ignoring all signs of life outside of my e-reader until I was done. That didn't happen, there was much more of a build up to the actual juicy part of the story. What put me off a bit in the beginning is that I expected a lot more build up for Zach and Becky's relationship and it just felt like everything was so dandy so quickly... But Bianca is sneaky and apparently has a sadistic streak of her own, all the drama hit as soon as I got comfortable and at that point, I could NOT put the book down (except when I had to cause life does still happen). 

I love that Bianca doesn't abandon the characters from previous books to the happily ever after fairyland. They all make appearances here. We get our fix of our favorite blasts from the past, some of them still working towards their HEA. We also get a glimpse of the characters whose books are coming up next. I was already super psyched for Akira's story, but now I'm just chomping at the bit! All these side stories add more layers to the book, make the main story that much more interesting and get the readers totally revved up for the next books. That's some major multitasking!

Alright back to Zach and Becky and Scott. The character development was great. There were layers to each character that were slowly revealed. Nothing is as it seems at first glance. That was my mistake - too many assumptions at first about how everything was going to go and I was totally wrong. Yet, it was all just totally right. The way that Bianca developed their relationship was not at all forced, things made sense and were explained. I like that. And I had to just fall in love with all of them... Except when they did really stupid things and made me very angry and I had to shake my head in their general direction. I'm looking at you Becky... and Scott... and Zach... and Ford... and ...Akira... Did I mention I can't wait for the next book? 

LUST! Yes, please. The sex was definitely HOT. Again, it wasn't forced, it made sense in the context of the story... the story didn't stop for impromptu sex or random spankings. It was a very good balance of build up, anticipation and delivering the right amount of hotness at the right time with the right people. Very well done. 

The editing wasn't very good, there were lots of typos. But I forgive that, because the writing itself was very good and the story more than made up for any confusion the typos may have caused.

I rarely re-read books. Once I know what happens, there isn't much to hold my attention. However, there are a few favorites that I come back to time and again. I think that I'll come back to this story and I might need to re-read Breakaway now that I'm in the mood for more Cobra action. 

Purchase Link:

2 comments:

  1. I have this to read and I'm looking forward to it. Have you read any of her Deadly Captive books? They are very dark but seriously hot.Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried reading the first Deadly Captive book and couldn't really get into it. Maybe I wasn't ready for the dark. This was like 6 months ago-ish. I'll revisit it since I've enjoyed lots of dark erotica since then.

    Offside was really good. I kind of wished that Zach would be a bit more badass, but it's okay. I liked him anyway. Breakaway is still my favorite in the Cobras series. Sebastian is the ultimate hotness. The second one was good too - Dean= super hot!

    ReplyDelete