Friday, April 19, 2013

Review: Take Me, Break Me by Cari Silverwood





Book: Take Me, Break Me
Pierced Hearts #1
Author: Cari Silverwood
Erotic Romance, BDSM

Accolade? I think that's a yes.


Blurb:

Jodie is scraping the barrel trying to stay afloat. An idea arrives that could rescue her finances and bring her together in a kinky way with a man she never gave up on. She's terrified and fascinated, and tempted as hell.

Capture fantasies rule her eBook. Re-enacting one in a documentary would surely be irresistible viewing to millions of women?

But Jodie and Klaus discover that underneath an ordinary man dark desires may lurk. What will win in the end? The man and lover, or the monster?

Warning: Capture fantasy; dubious consent; anal play; M/f as well as one m/f/f/m scene; BDSM themes including caning, spanking, bondage, and needle play. Also contains one beginner Dom who is exploring sadism but is still working out how and when to stop.

"I never thought I'd say this, but I enjoy this. You might be in trouble."

Wow, okay. So that was intense. I had to take a few days to process before writing this review.

This was definitely one of those books that you cannot put down once you get into it. The beginning took a bit of developing before it got intense, but that made sense because Klaus, the hero of the story, took some time getting into the swing of things. He was dragged into this capture fantasy venture by Jodie, just about kicking and screaming. It took him some time to switch gears. But once he switched gears, ladies, the gloves came off and so did the panties (and the laundry did not get done... why does that sound so dirty? you know, what I meant, right? that I couldn't put the book down? yeah? okay, I know it gets ruined when I have to explain the punch line. blah blah blah).

"My libido was sitting up and panting with its ass in the air." (see, that's what I meant)

So the concept was a capture fantasy for a documentary Jodie was hoping to make. It was kind of a backward capture fantasy. It all started out so civilized. Usually capture fantasies start out with non consent, mystery, and fear that evolve into trust and maybe affection as we get to know the characters. This goes the other way. We started out with trust and progressed to uncertainty and fear.

"This was like chess with her mind, and the wrong move on her part meant I got to do things I could never do out there in the normal world."

It was so unexpected, but Klaus was HOT. I love a dominant man. I do. But when you pair dominant with deviant sadist... I can't resist. It's probably the hottest combination ever. AND factor in the hot judo moves. We didn't stand a chance, ladies. Well, I didn't stand a chance and neither did Jodie.

"When the going gets tough the tough get kinky."

Okay, let's address the basics - the writing was great. The storyline was well developed and flowed smoothly. Well, as smoothly as a mind fuck is supposed to flow. There were definitely moments where I wondered who was being mind fucked, Jodie, Klaus or me? ... The BDSM was creative, realistic and (again) well written. There was a whole lot of sexy here and a whole lot of kinky. Mind fuck? Check. Sadomasochism? Check. Menage? Check. Girl on girl? Check. Needles? Yes, please. I mean... check.

On a serious note, I want to say that reading Cari Silverwood's BDSM is always refreshing because she always mentions safety, proper research, practice, mentorship options, importance of community support... Her characters are not perfect and sometimes make mistakes, because there's a self discovery and learning phase. But they're self aware, questioning, learning. It makes the whole situation feel more authentic.

I really enjoyed Klaus and Jodie's story. Klaus might have started off reluctant, but once he discovered that there's a part of him that enjoys kink it all came naturally to him. Like the flood gates opened up and he stepped into his real persona. Jodie also uncovered a new world and found that what she once thought was degrading just might be empowering. It was a backwards love story. Unexpected and suspenseful, yet fulfilling. I can't wait to see what Cari Silverwood has in store for Klaus and Jodie in the sequel. 

Purchase Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment