Sunday, April 7, 2013

Why Haydee?


One of my favorite authors of all time is Alexandre Dumas. His writing style just drew me in right away. His stories are always layered - there's romance, there's politics, there's intrigue, there's mystery and adventure, and action! What's not to love? I adored The Three Musketeers and then systematically read everything else that Alexandre Dumas has ever written. Cause that's what I do when I find an author I like. I keep reading until there's nothing left and then I get sad... And then I start all over again.

One of my favorite books by Alexandre Dumas was The Count of Monte Cristo. Who doesn't love The Count of Monte Cristo?? I do have a point and it does tie into why I chose Haydee for my scene name... This isn't a review and I'm about to throw in some major SPOILERS... so if you want to read this book then maybe you shouldn't read further.

So, Edmond Dantes (The Count of Monte Cristo) is betrayed by three men who all had something to gain from getting rid of him. He's falsely accused of treason and gets thrown in jail to rot for eternity, but against all odds, after 14 years he escapes. Well, first he meets a crazy old man from the next cell over, who teaches him a bunch of languages and other useful skills and tells him about a treasure that ensures his wealth for all time. I mean seriously, can I have some treasure? Anyway, long story short - he escapes and his whole life becomes about revenge for all that was taken from him - his love (Mercedes), his freedom, and I'd argue his sanity. In the process of plotting his revenge and setting up all his pawns and putting them into play, he does some good deeds for people he deems deserving. Essentially, he kind of plays God... Those he deems good get rewarded and those he deems bad get destroyed. Destroyed to the point that they welcome death and thank him for it when he finally grants it.

One good deed that Dantes does is he buys Haydee out of slavery. Haydee is the daughter of Ali Pasha of Yanina who was betrayed by Fernand Mondego (Count de Morcerf), who also happens to be one of the three who falsely accused Dantes. So, Dantes buys her and provides all the comforts and education and such. But she's still his slave, legally. And, though it's quite painful and difficult for her, he asks her to publicly identify and shame Morcerf, as part of his revenge.


After all the revenge is complete and Dantes is coming down off the high that playing God gave him and he's dealing with guilt and he realizes that he has no more focus in life, nothing else to live for... he tells Haydee that she is free, no longer a slave and can do whatever she wants with her life. But Haydee has other ideas. She's in love with Dantes ... and he loves her too. She's his second chance at life, at love, at happiness after all the awfulness.


To me, she also represents the perfect fantasy (uhh, a messed up perfect fantasy) - being owned by a smart, strong, beautiful man (umm, get your minds out of the gutter! Dantes never did anything inappropriate with an under-age Haydee). He owned her in the most basic sense. He held her life in his hands. And when he released her, she didn't want to leave. She didn't want freedom. She wanted him. He was her savior and, ultimately, she became his savior. It doesn't get any more beautiful than that! And, of course, since I'm a pervert, I add on the Dominance and submission layer and fall in love a little more.


That is why I identify with Haydee's character and love her so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment